Winter weather can be unpredictable and dangerous. While many people prefer to remain indoors during winter, staying inside is no guarantee of safety. Stay safe and healthy by planning ahead.
Winter storms and cold temperatures can be dangerous. Stay safe and healthy by planning ahead. Prepare your home and care. Prepare for power outages and outdoor activity. If you do not have access to a heater, visit friends or family or try to find movie theaters, malls, libraries and other public places that are heated.
If you must go outside:
Dress to withstand the lowest temperature or the wind chill temperature.
Dress in layers so that you can remove them as you get warm.
When the temperatures are below zero, all exposed skin should be covered.
Wear waterproof boots to keep your feet dry.
Chimney/flue should be inspected annually.
Furnace system and vent should be checked by a qualified technician.
Install a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector (check batteries monthly and replace twice a year).
Have an emergency kit.
Prepare Your Car
Make sure that your vehicle is in tip top shape before winter weather arrives to reduce your chances of becoming stranded.
- Have maintenance service on your vehicle as recommended
- Check antifreeze level
- Replace windshield wipers (if needed) and replace windshield wiper fluid with wintertime mixture
- Make sure battery is in good shape
- Replace worn tires and check air pressure in the tires
- Keep gas tank near full to help avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines
Have an emergency preparedness kit that includes:
- Battery-powered radio and extra batteries
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- Snow brush and ice scraper
- Jumper cables
- Emergency flares
- Extra windshield wiper fluid
- Sand or non-clumping cat litter to help with tire traction
- Fire extinguisher
- Bottled water and nonperishable high-energy foods
- First aid kit and necessary medications
- Extra clothing, boots, hats and gloves/mittens
- Cell phone and car charger
- Tow rope
- Have extra supplies if you're traveling with a baby/small child (diapers, etc.)