Many Fourth of July celebrations have been canceled due to COVID-19 -and local fireworks stores are seeing a major increase in sales with people planning to set off their own.
Fireworks can be very dangerous, causing serious burn and eye injuries. Typical fireworks injuries can be caused by firecrackers, bottle rockets, sparklers and more. Sparklers can burn at about 2,000 degrees, hot enough to melt metal! Follow these safety tips when using fireworks:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
Why not try these kid-friendly alternatives instead:
- Glow Sticks
- Silly String
- Party Poppers
- Glow in the Dark Bubbles
- Poppers, Throw-downs, or Bang Snaps